Thursday, December 31, 2015

How Hero and Dilwale won my heart !

Hello! If Facebook brought you here, you can ignore the below italics:

It has been brought to my attention that in 2015, I have liked two movies that I would never have watched even! One is Hero and another is Dilwale. And to be honest, I agree. But when I thought about it, I realised that they both share one common formula. Here's what it is ...

Formula = One Hit Song + One Likeable Couple

Hero [2015] marked the entry of two young fresh faces into Bollywood: Sooraj Pancholi and Athiya Shetty. It was so refreshing to see some nice new faces on the big screen. But I don't think I would've loved them as much if not for Armaan Malik's hit number "Main Hoon Hero Tera" (which was so commonly liked, that they decided to repeat it multiple times in the movie! Salman Khan liked it so much, he decided to sing it himself). And here, I will not take away credit from these youngsters either. It was their first film, and they have done a pretty decent job of not making a fool out of themselves. Perhaps they were terrified of their actor-turned-producer Salman Khan. They look good, the music in the background is good, some locations were breath-taking and overall this film was enjoyable.

Hero [2015]

Dilwale [2015] was the joke of the century. People were waiting with bated breath to somehow beg, borrow or steal first weekend tickets to this film. The production house did some excellent pre-release marketing and social media coverage. Everybody wanted to watch this movie! And as high as their rise was, the movie went through a sharp fall the first weekend. The producers made their money and all that, but the fans were disappointed that there wasn't any story. The problem here was that Shah Rukh and Kajol were put as faces of the movie (and we have known them for the romantic DDLJ that they gave us). This was a problem because people assumed that Rohit Shetty could pull off a Yash Chopra. Or rather, they expected it. Quite clearly, their expectations weren't met.

Dilwale [2015]
So why did I like this movie? I felt like I was going home. People who grew up in the 90s idolised Shah Rukh and Kajol and rare gems like Johnny Lever. Seeing them all on screen made me feel like I was back in my childhood. Yes, they don't look like they did before. But their chemistry hasn't changed at all. For those of you who have seen the movie: The 5-min date scene is a #RelationshipGoal. If you can't go crazy and act lunatic with the person you love, you might not have found the right person for you. For Shah Rukh and Kajol to effortlessly bring that up, they must be really good actors.

Now if you remember the Formula, there should be a Hit Song too right? And there is. In the heart-melting voice of Arijit Singh, the song "Janam Janam" (again commonly liked by all) has been played throughout the movie. There is also another favourite - Gerua. I love the original as well as the spoof !

Story. No Story. Lights. No Lights. Fancy Cars or not, if you are able to apply the above Formula, you will have one Happy Suchi.

And she will watch your movies on loop.

Happy 2016 !

No comments:

Post a Comment